Friday, July 28, 2006

being (almost) grown-up

exactly one month from today, i will have completed my first day as a full-fledged first grade teacher. there will be no master teacher to defer to if i mess up - it's just me and the kids. i am at the same time excited beyond belief and scared out of my mind. new circumstances are always met with worry and doubts about how things will work out. while at this time i feel like i am in no way qualified/prepared to teach twenty english-language learners - i know that i would not have been hired if the principal hadn't felt that there was some shred of competency and ability in me. basically, i know that i am my own worst critic and fretting only makes it worse. :
while the day-to-day teaching and lesson planning will keep my plate full, what is dominating my thoughts are the first crucial days. in the first week, i need to set the tone for the rest of the year in terms of discipline, routines and my own expectations of the students. during both of my student teaching assignments, i came into an established classroom and only needed to observe how the teacher did things and then emulate their proven methods when i was the full-time teacher. i didn't have to initiate and establish anything on my own - which means i have little experience in this regard. right now, my head is so full of ideas from textbooks, other teachers and college lectures that i just need to filter through the ideas and decide what works for me.
so, whatever your beliefs, prayers, happy thoughts, crossed fingers or whatever would be greatly appreciated as i dive into this new endeavor and begin preparations.

other than minor anxiety over the things to come, life is blessed. my last day at bed bath and beyond is sunday. it's been fun, but i'm ready to have my weekends with the hubby back. also, matt and i have decided to seek out a new church closer to home. we've been part of a church in fremont (about 30-40 minutes away) and as much as we love the service, the drive (and traffic) takes it out of us. finding a church is never easy, but i know we'll eventually find something that suits both of us. hopefully sooner, rather than later. :)

since it's friday, i'll say happy weekend all! i will be spending the majority of it at bb&b. :( hope your weekends are more eventful and fun.
~jill :)

1 comment:

Fern said...

Jill-
Allow me to say "Welcome" to the blog world. I'm SO HAPPY you have a blog. YIPEE! I find it sooooo much easier to keep in touch this way. You're going to be a GREAT teacher. First grade is so cute! I'd wish you luck but I'm sure you won't need much.
Fern